Wisconsin Rehab Centers | Detox, Inpatient, FAQ
- Wisconsin Treatment Programs
- Medical Detox
- Inpatient Drug Rehab
- Outpatient Treatment
- Using Insurance In Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Substance abuse Facts
- Ark Behavioral Health
- Wisconsin Addiction Treatment FAQ
According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), there are 642 addiction treatment options throughout Wisconsin. This includes drug rehab centers in cities like Madison, Green Bay, and Milwaukee.
The state has long dealt with substance abuse issues, particularly in relation to alcohol and opioids, which is evidenced by its growing number of annual hospitalizations for substance abuse.
According to the Wisconsin Department of Health Services, in 2019, approximately 35,000 individuals were admitted to hospitals for alcohol abuse and nearly 1,200 individuals were hospitalized for opioid overdose.
If you or a loved one is one of the thousands of Wisconsin residents struggling with alcohol or drug abuse, you can learn more about your addiction treatment options.
How To Find & Choose Addiction Treatment In Wisconsin
In Wisconsin, the Department of Health Services oversees addiction treatment throughout the state. The Division of Care and Treatment Services oversees treatment planning and management, along with allocating federal and state funding for substance abuse services.
To find an addiction treatment center in Wisconsin, you can also:
- Use SAMHSA’s Behavioral Health Treatment Locator
- Contact a treatment provider directly
- Speak with your primary healthcare provider to get a referral for treatment
- Call the Wisconsin Addiction Recovery Helpline or perform an online search at addiction helpwi.org
In your search for a high-quality addiction treatment program in Wisconsin, look for substance abuse treatment centers that offer:
- evidence-based services, such as cognitive behavioral therapy, that have documented research to support their efficacy in substance use disorder treatment
- a complete continuum of care from medical detox services to aftercare support programs
- co-occurring disorders treatment, also known as dual diagnosis treatment, which is designed to address co-occurring substance abuse and mental health issues
- individualized treatment plans that are created based on each patient’s unique history, needs, and goals of treatment
- accreditation from either national or state oversight agencies, which denotes adherence to the highest-quality standards of care
- certified substance abuse counselors, or professional staff who have received proper certification/training from the state
As you evaluate treatment programs, it’s also important to consider which forms of payment a facility accepts and the length of their treatment programs. Also consider your background with substance use and the level of care that best aligns with your personal treatment goals.
Wisconsin Alcohol & Drug Treatment Programs
The Wisconsin Department of Health Services details several addiction treatment and mental health services available throughout the state.
Treatment services begin with an initial assessment of each individual’s needs and typically move on to detox services, if necessary. Following completion of a detox program, individuals can find a variety of other treatment options, including:
- medication-assisted treatment (MAT)
- inpatient treatment
- outpatient treatment
- residential treatment
- counseling and recovery planning
When you attend an addiction treatment program in Wisconsin, the results of your initial needs assessment will determine what your individualized treatment plan entails.
Based on your assessment, you may have access to several levels of care designed to meet your addiction and behavioral health needs.
Medical Drug & Alcohol Detox
Medical drug and alcohol detoxification programs in Wisconsin are designed to help you safely rid your body of harmful substances while treating the symptoms of withdrawal and providing medical advice when necessary.
Before you commit to a dedicated rehabilitation center, attending a medically supervised detox program can help you stabilize your body and mind as you prepare for more in-depth treatment.
Inpatient Drug Rehab
Inpatient or residential treatment programs in Wisconsin take place in a setting connected to a hospital or hospital-type setting. In a residential program, you must live onsite at the treatment facility for several days or weeks, depending on the results of your initial needs assessment.
In an inpatient treatment program, you’ll have access to a variety of recovery and support services, which may include:
- dual diagnosis care for co-occurring disorders
- evidence-based behavioral therapies, such as cognitive behavioral therapy
- individual or group counseling
- holistic treatment approaches, such as meditation, yoga, nature therapy, and other wellness activities
Outpatient Addiction Treatment
Outpatient treatment services in Wisconsin are ambulatory in nature and are sometimes prescribed after the completion of a more intensive inpatient program.
You must travel to and from a care clinic for each treatment session, and depending on your needs, you may participate in one of the following programs:
- partial hospitalization or day treatment programs
- intensive outpatient programs
- standard outpatient programs
In Wisconsin, medication-assisted treatment (MAT) uses FDA-approved medications to help treat opioid or alcohol addiction.
In addition to administering approved medications, MAT programs may also implement counseling and cognitive behavioral therapy, which may include individual or group counseling and family therapy. Community-based wraparound services may also be offered.
Addiction recovery is a lifelong journey, which makes aftercare support services an essential component of treatment for many people.
After you complete a dedicated rehab program, aftercare support offers you access to a variety of relapse prevention services, which may include:
- sober-living or recovery housing
- case management
- education and vocational services
- individual and group counseling
- self-help support groups
Using Insurance For Addiction Treatment In Wisconsin
Many addiction treatment facilities throughout Wisconsin accept private health insurance, as well as Medicare and Medicaid, to help cover the cost of treatment.
It’s important to note, however, that if you plan to use insurance to help cover the cost of your care, benefits will vary according to your individual policy and provider.
To determine whether a rehab facility accepts your insurance to help pay for the cost of your care, you can:
- contact the treatment provider directly to ask about insurance coverage
- call the number on the back of your insurance card
- speak with your HR department if you have health insurance through your employer
If You Don’t Have Insurance
If you don’t have insurance, you may still be able to enroll in an addiction treatment program in Wisconsin. The state maintains publicly funded, nonprofit treatment programs and offers government programs that can help you pay for the cost of care.
For more information, visit the Wisconsin Department of Health Services.
Wisconsin Substance Abuse Facts
Wisconisn battles substance use issues related to both alcohol and drugs. Nearly half of all overdose deaths involve multiple drugs, and the rates of adult alcohol use match or exceed national averages each year.
Other facts collected from the Wisconsin Department of Health Services include:
- In 2020, 1,227 opioid overdose deaths occured.
- The 2020 opioid-related deaths increased from 916 in 2019.
- Over 64% of adults in Wisconsin drink alcohol, which ranked third in the nation in 2019.
- In 2020, there were over 15,490 alcohol-related ED visits.
- In 2019, over 1,120 residents aged 65 and older died from alcohol-related causes.
- In 2020, there were 1,515 total drug overdose deaths.
Through August of 2021, the state has confirmed 835 opioid-related overdose deaths. To reduce the trend of growing overdose rates, Wisconsin officials encourage people to never use opioids alone, have naloxone/Narcan on hand, and avoid mixing opioids with other substances.
Addiction Treatment At Ark Behavioral Health
At Ark Behavioral Health, we’re proud to offer a complete continuum of care for addiction treatment, from medically supervised detox to inpatient treatment, outpatient care, and aftercare support services.
Our facilities are located in Ashby, Canton, Falmouth, and Quincy Massachusetts, and we’re proud to offer treatment services to individuals throughout the United States, including Wisconsin residents.
Wisconsin Addiction Treatment FAQ
How Do I Access Treatment In Wisconsin?
To access addiction treatment in Wisconsin, you can speak with your primary care provider, contact a treatment facility directly, or use SAMHSA’s Behavioral Health Treatment Locator. You can also use Wisconsin 211 to find treatment.
What Does Addiction Treatment Look Like In Wisconsin?
Addiction treatment in Wisconsin looks different for every individual. However, the state maintains high standards for addiction treatment and encourages individuals to look for rehab facilities that offer a full continuum of care from detox to aftercare services.
Does Insurance Cover Addiction Treatment In Wisconsin?
Yes, private insurance, as well as Medicaid and Medicare can help cover the cost of addiction treatment in Wisconsin.
Can I Go To Drug Rehab In Wisconsin Without Insurance?
Yes, you may still be able to go to drug rehab in Wisconsin without health insurance. The state offers publicly funded programs for individuals who cannot afford private insurance.
Are There Walk-in Opioid Clinics In Wisconsin?
Yes, there are walk-in opioid clinics located throughout the state of Wisconsin.
Are There Free Or State-Funded Rehab Centers In Wisconsin?
Yes, the Wisconsin Department of Health Services allocates public funding for free or low-cost rehab centers throughout the state.
How Long Does Drug Rehab Last In Wisconsin?
Rehab may last anywhere from 30-90 days or longer, depending on your individual needs.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services - SAMHSA Behavioral Health Treatment Services Locator
Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Alcohol Hospitalizations by County Dashboard
Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Opioids: Hospital Visits Dashboard
Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Substance Use Disorders
Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Alcohol Use in Wisconsin
Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Substance Use: Drug Overdose Deaths Dashboard
Questions About Treatment?
Ark Behavioral Health offers 100% confidential substance abuse assessment and treatment placement tailored to your individual needs. Achieve long-term recovery.
100% confidential. We respect your privacy.
We've got you covered.
Receive 24/7 text support right away.
There is no obligation and you can opt out at any time.